You are responsible for 13 lab assignments which are worth up to 20 points each. The lowest of the 13 will be dropped, for a total of 240 points, 1/4 of your final grade in the course.
All lab write ups are available on Blackboard in the Lab write-ups folder under the Labs section. You should read this document before completing the short pre-lab quiz.
Each lab will consist of the following components:
- (5 points) Prelab Quiz, to be taken via Blackboard
(under Labs -> Lab Quizzes) by 10 AM each Tuesday in weeks that lab sessions are held. See note below.
- (15 points) Lab Worksheet:
One copy from each lab group of 2-3 students to be handed in at the end of each lab period.
The Lab Worksheet will be included in each lab write-up, available via Blackboard.
Additional lab policies:
- It is preferred that you work with at least one but no more than two partners on each lab.
- Pay attention to Significant Figures on your report sheets.
- If you arrive to a lab session more than 20 minutes after it begins, you will work on that lab without a partner. You will be required to finish the lab by the end of the lab period.
Prelab quiz for each lab is due via Blackboard every Tuesday at 10 AM.
|Lab intro & planetarium||Jan. 29|
|1. Celestial Sphere||Feb. 5|
|2. Phases of the Moon||Feb. 12|
|3. Kepler’s Laws||Feb. 19|
|4. Orbit of Mars||Feb. 26|
|5. Spectroscopy||Mar. 5|
|6. Telescopes||Mar. 12|
|Spectroscopy, Telescopes catch-up
|7. Energy Flow out of the Sun
|8. Transits of Venus
|10. Greenhouse Effect||Apr. 23|
|11. Moons of Jupiter||Apr. 30|
|12. Meteorites||May. 7|
Note on Prelab quizzes:
If you experience last minute technical problems with Blackboard or with your
network and are unable to take the quiz, do the following:
1. If you have network access, e-mail me your quiz answers before the deadline.
2. If you do not have network access, call my office phone (410 704 3017) and leave a voice mail for me with your answers to the quiz before the deadline. These must be very clearly articulated, i.e. say “B as in boy” so I know you’re not saying “D”.
These are the only two ways I will accept quiz answers other than through Blackboard. I will not accept quiz answers emailed to me after the deadline.