Students in Advertising

On November 22–23, Soo Rhee, associate professor in the department of mass communication, took five AdFedTU students to the Student Advertising Career Conference sponsored by the American Advertising Federation (AAF) and Amazon Advertising. The students enjoyed invaluable moments with advertising specialists from Amazon Advertising, YouTube, The Nielsen Company, FCB, Energy BBDO, Publicis Health, Octagon,TBWA, Droga5, and many more. This trip would not have been possible if it were not a generous financial support from the Kaplan Fund.

STUDENT REFLECTION: ERICA SHOOK ’20

(from left to right) Ciara Tatem, Paulina Troncoso, Evan Fitts, Erika Shook, Brandi Bush

I went to the American Advertising Federation (AAF) Student Advertising Career Conference in New York City from November 21 to November 24, 2019. The days of the conference lasted November 22 to 23. The conference was presented by Amazon Advertising. At the event I sat in on many presentations from communications planning to data and analytics. Since taking the special topics data analytics class with Dr. Kumble, I felt like I got the chance to really understand the presentation on data and analytics. At the end of that presentation, the speaker showed a list of programs that are helpful to know before entering the field. It was awesome to see programs that we learned in class in the presentation. Also, the president of AAF made a speech explaining how he got to where he is today and his love for advertising. I learned a lot going to the presentations and learned about the large amount of advertising companies that are out there. At the end of the trip, there was a recruiter expo with about ten companies recruiting for their organizations. I talked to Energy BBDO and Droga5. I really connected with the recruiter at Droga5 and she seemed really happy to talk to me. I am going to send her a follow up email to connect with her for my future profession. Overall, this trip was exciting, full of learning and a great way to network with future employers and learn more about the field. I hope more Towson advertising students will get this opportunity in the future