New Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Koushikee Dutta

Dr. Koushikee Dutta is an assistant professor in the CBE Department of Management. Dutta received her Doctor of Business Administration (Management) from Louisiana Tech University. Prior to joining academia, she worked in start-ups in India and Singapore as a Human Resource Business Partner across various industries. Dutta is currently teaching EBTM 350, Introduction to Business Analytics. Through this class, she hopes that students will use data to discover patterns and trends to make predictions and solve business problems. Her current goal is to step outside her comfort zone, as well as to “become an impactful educator and researcher.”

When asked what made her want to become a professor for CBE, she explains that, “I am a life-long learner and have always been curious about learning new things. I believe that curiosity can spark explorations and creations in driving the society forward. It was this curiosity that led me to ask this question to myself about How can I create an impact? All the answers led to the idea that education is one of the most powerful tools to empower and aid brilliant minds. This led me to switch careers , from being an HR professional to academia. And, four years later, I feel fortunate to finish my program and find a job at TU. I believe that TU has created an environment that sparks curiosity, experimentation, and innovation, things that are meaningful to me. In turn, I can aid students in realizing their possibilities and not their limitations.”

During her time at Towson so far, Dutta has enjoyed being back on campus and engaging with students in-person. “The students at Towson are keen to learn, and it puts a smile on my face knowing that I am playing a small role in their learning process. I have enjoyed getting to know my new colleagues and exploring teaching and research projects with them. Towson has taken every step and has provided ample resources to ensure a safe and healthy on-campus environment, so challenges have been minimal.”

Dutta believes that teaching is one of the most impactful ways to empower and create change. She states that while at CBE she looks forward to “creating a shared impact by learning new things, helping my students unlock their potential, and realize their life and career goals. In addition, I look forward to collaborating on research projects with other TU faculty members.”

In her current research, Dutta explores micro and macro level concepts within strategy and entrepreneurship. Dutta explains that “one of my research streams focuses on mission driven ventures and mechanisms of resource acquisitions, which raises several interesting research questions. Nascent ventures often acquire a particular type of resource through participation in accelerator programs which substantially aid and accelerate new venture development. One of my research projects explores how social impact accelerators make cohort admission decisions. Additionally, in another current research project, I utilize an experience sampling methodology to understand the role of affect and creativity in new venture performance.”

Dr. Dutta shares that having lived and worked in three different countries, she has developed an interest in learning about different cultures, languages, and folklore. She is a trained Hindustani classical vocalist, as well as a major horror movie fan. We are excited to have Dr. Dutta as part of our CBE team!