SACS Staff Spotlight: Greg March

Greg March, Academic Advisor

Here is Mr. Greg March, our SACS Staff Spotlight of the Week – let’s meet him! ☺

College: Towson University

Degree: Received Bachelor of Science, Business Administration: Human Resources Management

What do you do?                                                         

As an academic advisor, my primary responsibility is to work closely with students to ensure they are successful in their studies and using their time here at Towson wisely. My advisees and I meet each semester to discuss advising forms, degree plans, and their academic progression.

When I am not advising, I am heavily involved in the CBE’s career services functions. I am generally coordinating on-campus interviews, employer tabling, career fairs, and performing career advising. In addition, I coordinate the international partnership the CBE has with the Quality Leadership University in Panama, as well as the Professional Experience course (BUSX 460).

What do you like about this job?

I first came to Towson University as an undergraduate student in 2008. I pursued and earned my degree in Business Administration a few years later. In that time, I developed a bond with the university and the people who made it what it was. When the time to begin my career search came, I applied for a position at the university and was lucky enough to get it. Since then, I have been fortunate enough to call TU home and work to make the university for others what it was for me.

How should students prepare for their advising sessions? 

Before your appointment, take some time to review your academic requirements. Use that information to update your academic advising form and degree completion plan, and bring both documents to your advising appointment.

Advising appointments are short enough as it is. The less time it takes the student and advisor to update an academic plan, the more time there is to discuss career ambitions, life goals, problems the student may be facing, and just about anything in between.

Give me a common question that you receive from your advisees?

Your typical academic advisor will receive the same questions from different students on a daily basis. Instead of giving students a direct answer, I find it best to provide the student with the resources they need to solve their own questions.

What is your favorite quote of all time?

“Success is not owned. It is leased, and rent is due every day.”  (J.J. Watt)

Dasher, David