Artist Residency at La Macina di San Cresci

Kraemer in Residence at La Macina di San Cresci

From October 18th to 31st, 2021, I was an artist-in-residence at La Macina di San Cresci, based in Greve in Chianti, Italy. The residency, established in 2001 on the site of the ancient Pieve di San Cresci in the hills of Tuscany, is a member of RES ARTIS, describes itself as follows:

Our mission is to encourage the mobility of artists interested in exploring their ideas in a well appointed studio far from home; to develop a cultural exchange at local, national and international levels through the involvement and participation of foreign institutions, both public and private; to be a laboratory of experience where artist-teachers and young artists can work together.

For two weeks, I worked on my feature film screenplay, The White Deer, focusing on the beat sheet and outline, and conducting research. Meanwhile, the culture, history, art, and landscapes of the Tuscany region and Italy served to restore and inspire me. To travel again was an inspiring and humbling experience in and of itself. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” — Saint Augustine