Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Jorge Romero

Dr. Jorge Romero has been with the accounting department at the College of Business and Economics at Towson University since 2008. During this time, he has taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate classes, as well as undertaking some exciting research projects. I had the chance to speak with Dr. Romero and was able to gain some valuable insight into his career, the world of accounting, and what it is like to be a professor at Towson University.

When asked about all the degree programs he has completed, Dr. Romero stated “I enjoyed all my degree programs. Each program was unique and valuable”. Dr. Romero gained his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru. He went on get both his MBA and Ph.D. in Management Science with a concentration in Accounting from the University of Texas in Dallas, supervised by Dr. Rajiv D. Banker, who Dr.Romero describes as one of the most influential researchers in business. On top of his impressive academic career, Dr. Romero also has experience working for HSBC Bank in its main headquarters in Chicago. Here he was part of a research team working in data analytics – very crucial for the world of business and accounting!

Having been with Towson University for 14 years, Dr. Romero knows a thing or two about being a professor at the university. “It is a great environment, and I have a chance to interact with a diverse set of students and faculty” is the first thing Dr. Romero says when asked his favorite thing about teaching at here. He goes on to say “I have very positive experiences with my students every semester. They’re excited about accounting, data analytics, and learning in general. They’re fun and energetic, and it’s great being around them. I also like to share with them the link between my research and the topics that we cover in class, I strive to integrate my experience in research and industry to provide real-life applications for students, and I like them to see practical applications of accounting concepts in the real world”.

We went on to discuss his research interests, where Dr. Romero stated that his extensive background in cost accounting, managerial accounting, data analytics, and the use of market measures of firm performance in a broad range of contexts, including research, teaching, and industry has allowed him to contribute some valuable research to the industry. His work has been published in leading accounting journals. When asked more specifically about his previous and current research topics, Dr. Romero said “because of my solid background in mathematics and statistics, my research expertise focuses on empirical accounting work. I work on different research projects with co-authors from different universities all over the world, as well as from Towson University. Currently, I am working with Dr. Rajiv
Banker on several empirical accounting research projects”.

Dr. Romero was also made the Editor of the Advances in Public Interest Journal in January 2022. He explained that “the Journal is abstracted, indexed, and ranked in several international databases, including Scopus, Web of Science, SCImago Journal Rank (SJR), and the Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC), among others.”. The Advances in Public Interest Journal has been published regularly since 1986 by the UK-based Emerald Group Publishing, one of the largest publishers of academic material. Dr. Romero described his experience as an editor thus far by saying “being an editor is very rewarding; I get to interact with Editorial Members, Associate Editors, Reviewers, and Authors. It also pushes me to be well-informed about relevant technological advances in publishing and disseminating research. Currently, I am working on expanding the pool of authors to American, Asian, and Australian researchers interested in submitting papers to the Journal through my network of contacts. The target of the Journal is to create awareness of different issues of public interest and reach a higher ranking in the different international rankings and databases”. He added “current strengths of Advances in Public Interest Accounting include a solid reputation for providing original contributions that add to the understanding of public interest that impact businesses, regulators, governments, and government
bodies; a reasonable level of diversity of topics; and its association with Emerald, an established leader
in publishing”.

It is often interesting to look at business, and its related subjects, from the perspective that they can bring good to the world, rather than being very heavily ‘corporate’. In reference to his Editorship of an academic journal about such a topic, I asked Dr. Romero how he thought accounting can promote the public good. He informed me that the Journal focusses on promoting the public good through its social impact on climate action and sustainability. He stated “the central mission of the Journal is to provide essential reading for those who need to stay informed about issues related to public interest around the world. The Journal plays a critical role in providing a forum where innovative and leading research is given open-minded consideration based on scientific merit. Advances in Public Interest Accounting aims to provide a forum for researchers concerned with critically appraising and significantly transforming conventional accounting theory, practice, teaching, and research”.

Finally, we discussed up-and-coming research in the accounting field. There is currently a new trend in empirical accounting where data analytics tools are being used to deepen the research understanding of different accounting issues in the field. Dr. Romero gave the following example: “For instance, currently Python is being used, which is a textual analysis tool that I am using to extract textual sentiments to analyze how companies write their annual reports, focusing on the sentiments and tones included in the text and how that affects the future performance of the company.”

In his spare time, Dr. Romero likes to spend time with his family, enjoy the outdoors and watch movies. He is also an avid swimmer, and says it is a great source for relaxation. With such a busy schedule, it’s no surprise that Dr. Romero needs time to wind down! We’d like to take this opportunity to congratulate Dr. Romero on behalf of Towson University’s College of Business and Economics for his Journal Editorship and thank him for his contributions to the Towson University Accounting Department.

Written by: Elizabeth Higgins