Chris Eifert

Long-time Economics Department administrative assistant earns award for outstanding service

With 42 years of service to Towson University, Christine (Chris) Eifert has never stopped learning.

“I’ve never been one to stay behind my desk,” she said.

As the administrative assistant II for the Department of Economics, Eifert ensures the smooth and efficient daily operations of the department. But she also actively seeks out ways to improve processes and new opportunities for professional development, earning every certificate offered by TU’s Office of Human Resources, attending seminars on diversity and much more.

“In order to continue to be useful and of service to my department, I have to pursue professional development,” she said. “Every year I have used the resources available to me to continue to grow.”

For her outstanding service to the department, College of Business and Economics and Towson University, Eifert has been awarded the college’s Outstanding Staff Award for the 2017-2018 academic year.

“Through her years of dedicated service, I have found Chris to be the most valued resource of the department,” said Department Chair Matthew Chambers, Ph.D. “Her commitment to the job, willingness to get out from ‘behind the desk,’ and desire for personal growth are second to none. Without her support and friendship, I would not be able to perform my duties as chair.”

In addition to going above and beyond in her administrative duties to support the department, Eifert takes a hands-on, mentoring approach to supervising work-study students. She has made a significant personal impact on many student workers during her time in the economics office, providing unwavering support, guidance and wisdom.

Brian Daskalovitz was at the lowest point of his life when he came to it work in the economics office. Eifert, like others, could have dismissed him as an unruly college kid. But she took him under her wing and helped turn his life around, he said.

“She would talk to me daily about my ambitions and what I was doing to get there,” said Daskalovitz, who graduated in 2005 and went on to become the CFO of Fairfax County Federal Credit Union in Virginia. “She encouraged me and helped build up my confidence.”

Eifert is also passionate about giving back to the community. She is a licensed amateur radio operator and volunteers her time with Baltimore County’s emergency response operations. If there were to be a large-scale emergency or disaster on campus, Eifert would be a part of the frontline of defense, communicating via radio with first responders.

“I also carry a first aid kit on me at all times, just in case,” she said.