student with multiple screens

Generation Z at Our Doorstep

The first true digital natives have come of age in the era of social media and ubiquitous mobile technology, and they’re beginning to enter higher education.

By Laura Braddick

It’s a generation so new, no one has even agreed on a name yet. Gen Z, Gen Edge, The “i” generation are all labels for this emerging cohort born starting in the mid- to late-90s. They make up a quarter of the U.S. population, and they’re at the doorstep of higher education.

“We’re still getting to know who they are,” says generational expert Phil Gwoke of Minneapolis-based Bridgeworks. “There are still a lot of question marks around who Gen Edge is.”

The most obvious distinguishing characteristic for this generation is the ubiquity of advanced technology in everyday life since their birth. They’ve never known a world without mobile phones or the Internet. Social media played a role in their adolescence.

“Millennials are comfortable with technology. They can figure it out. But Gen Edgers know how technology works.”

(Source: Ologie’s “This is Gen Z”)
GEN Z STATS
They send more than 100 texts per day.
Their average attention span is eight seconds.
One-third live in a single-parent household.
74 percent would rather own a business than work for a single employer.
57 percent would rather save money than spend it right away

Being immersed in technology has influenced the way Gen Edgers communicate. Snapchat—the social media application where people send short videos and images to friends—is one of the most popular social media among this age group. This has seeped into their learning styles as well.

“The way their minds work, they want information fast. They need imagery incorporated to keep it exciting,” says Gwoke. “To go into a classroom and be a part of a lecture with a professor disseminating information in 15 to 20 minute chunks—that is not at all how they will want to learn. Their brains are being rewired as a result of this fast-paced, image driven technology.”

In Their Own Words

To get a firsthand glimpse of the mindset of Gen Z business students, we talked to two freshmen about growing up as “digital natives,” how they see and use social media, and their views on the world and what the world thinks of them.

Timothy PlackMEET TIMOTHY

NAME: Timothy Plack
AGE: 18
HOMETOWN: Fallston, Maryland

MAJOR: pre-accounting

What are your social media of choice? “I don’t use Facebook at all. What’s the point? I don’t get it. But I use Twitter and Instagram. I’m proud of my Twitter account.”

What’s your earliest memory of technology? “Probably turning on the TV as a kid to watch “Arthur.” Technology has just always been there. My first experience using a computer was in third grade. I got my first mobile phone in sixth grade and got an iPhone in high school.”

How do you feel about the state of U.S. politics? “I’m voting for the first time this year, and in my opinion, for the lesser of two evils … I’m not optimistic. I don’t think there’s going to be any significant change no matter who wins the election.”

Did the financial crisis of 2008 affect you or your family? “I was aware of the financial crisis. Growing up, if something was happening in the world, my parents would explain things to my older siblings and me … Although we didn’t see any effects in our day-to-day lives, it was something I was definitely aware of. I think kids my age saw it and see it, but we don’t actively think about it. It’s just what we know. It’s the way things are.”

What’s something you’d like to accomplish at Towson aside from a degree? “I’d like to start a financial service here at Towson to help other students create budgets for themselves.”

Bolupe MEET BOLUPE

NAME: Bolupe Olaseinde
AGE: 18
HOMETOWN: Springdale, Maryland
MAJOR: Pre-accounting

When did you get your first mobile phone? “In sixth grade when I was 11. But it wasn’t that advanced. So there wasn’t much to do on it. You still had to find stuff to do. If anything we were using [our phones] to communicate with each other to go find stuff to do.”

How do you use social media? “I use Instagram. I’m really into fashion, so I use that to look at fashion photos and spark my creativity. I use Snapchat to send short videos and communicate with people who I don’t really want to have my phone number.”

What do others think of your generation? “I think older people think that we’re all conceited, self-absorbed and don’t care about the world around us or know what’s going on outside of our phones. A lot of people who are my age are that way, but we are also more aware of what’s going on than they think. We’re looking at our phones, but we’re being exposed to information and ideas from around the world.”

How would you describe your peers? “Free spirited. Independent. Adventurous. A lot are interested in starting their own business.”

What are your career aspirations? “I’m really optimistic I’ll be able to get a job right after graduating college … I just don’t want a boring job.”

The College of Business and Economics presents

When Generations Connect: Communicating with Gen Edge
March 30, 6 p.m.
Minnegan Room, Johnny Unitas Stadium
Towson University
FREE

Register here generationsconnect.eventbrite.com