Study Abroad Alumni Graduation Spotlights – Allison Chavis

Today we are sharing Allison Chavis’ study abroad story and what she has been up to since her graduation from Towson University. Allison participated in our Minimester program in Barcelona, Spain in 2017! Take a look below at Allison’s interview responses and all she had to share about her experience:

Where you studied and when

“I am about to graduate with my Masters in the HRD program now, but I studied abroad during my undergrad (In business!) with Towson. I went during the minimester of Winter 2017 and traveled to Barcelona, Spain for 2.5 weeks!”

Your major and/or minor

Undergrad: Business Administration – Concentration in HR
Masters: Human Resource Development
What you’re doing or plan to do after graduation
“Was just featured in the GSA newsletter featuring my company Charm City Picnic, LLC. A small start up that focuses on supporting other local Baltimore small businesses all while finding a way to gather during the pandemic. Although I still hold a full-time position in HR at SEPHORA I have seriously considered taking the business full-time! We were featured in Baltimore Magazine; WJZ; and WBAL TV in less than 6 months of starting. I can’t wait to see what the future holds and I know I would never have gotten this far if it weren’t for my studies at TU and all the support of my professors & the community!”
Any achievements from your time at TU
“During my Undergrad, I was President of the SHRM Chapter. I worked at the CBE Center where I helped students search for internships and edit their resumes and practice interview questions. Working there actually awarded me my scholarship to study abroad. I also won the Study Abroad $500 scholarship that covered the rest of my studies! During my undergrad, I also competed on “The Associate” panel where we competed against other students in teams week-by-week to recommend solutions to real-life business cases.”

Short reflection of your favorite memory from your time abroad
“I had never traveled so far by myself! For someone who likes to always be in control, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life to let go and fully embrace myself in the experience. I really had to figure out how to navigate and explore on my own. I traveled with two friends but the entire program class became really close. I loved that they set up excursions and trips for us each weekend so we could see the most beautiful and historic landmarks. Collabing with other students, we discovered even more fun things to do like: hiking, nightlife and tours. One memory I’ll cherish forever is touring the Sagrada la Familia as soon after we left, the building caught on fire and they’ve ceased touring until it’s fully re-built. It was also really cool to see the FC Barcelona soccer team compete. I really felt like I gained the full Barcelona experience even in my short three weeks I was there.”

Your advice to current TU students who may be considering studying abroad in the future

“GO! I can’t stress it enough. It was such an amazing, unforgettable experience that ranks at the very top of my college experience. There are always opportunities to fund your studies so be on the lookout. It’s so important to immerse yourselves in different cultures and ways of living. You’ll take a piece of that country and hold it in your heart forever, I promise you!”
We hope you enjoyed learning a little about Allison’s story. Our office is proud to share updates on our student alumni and can’t wait to share more with you coming soon! #TUProud #HowBigIsYourWorld