Event Highlight: CIEE Passport Caravan

Have you heard that CIEE has pledged to fund 10,000 passports through the year 2020 as part of the IIE Generation Study Abroad initiative? We don’t know about you, but we think that’s a pretty generous commitment! Passport fees are typically about $110 for applicants over the age of 16, which is an expense that keeps some people from pursuing study abroad.

Luckily for us, the CIEE Passport Caravan came to town this February and 75 Towson students received free passports to help make study abroad more of a reality!

We spoke to some of the students that attended the event, and here’s what they had to say:

Canisha Drew, a senior Early Childhood Special Education major, said, “This free passport may help me get the international experience I need before joining the Peace Corps.”

Chris Powell, a senior Anthropology and International Relations major, said, “I love working abroad and without my passport, I wouldn’t be able to do that. Before I was traveling on a military ID, but this passport will allow me to pursue my passions in India.”

Nichole Whilson, a student in the Master’s program for Library and Information Science, said, “This passport means so much to me as an older student because a lot of these experiences and opportunities are typically reserved for younger students.”

Thank you to CIEE for bringing this opportunity to Towson students! We hope that this was a step in the right direction towards fulfilling our Generation Study Abroad pledge of increasing students studying abroad by 40% by the year 2020.

#YouTooAreGenerationStudyAbroad