Week 1-2 recap: I heard you missed us, we’re back?

Whew. That felt like an entire semester. And we’re only 2 weeks done. Let’s recap teaching this research based course in a pandemic.

Remember, the University was allowing and pushing for some face-face classes. We were one. A hybrid.

Week 1 started off with an email to the faculty and students the Saturday before, that classes the first week would be remote due to a high number of positive Covid-19 tests. Every one returning had to take a test or provide results of one. So, already had to pivot for the first week. The only thing the students would really miss was an in class experiences working with high-speed cameras that weren’t their phones. In the back of my mind, I knew this is it for the semester. The first day was introductions and organizing. Monday is designed as a long class period for in class time to do research, instead after about an hour and a half, I let them go to work on small assignments at home. The first assignment is getting a high-speed video of something. I normally do this in class the first few weeks to get them use to using the equipment, instead they learned to use their phones. Students submitted videos to a VoiceThread and turned in great examples (highlight of my week). Spray aerosols, lighters, sandcrab flipping, pets, their eye blinking, partners drumming, ink in water. So, even though they weren’t learning to use high end cameras in class, they were learning how to use their devices.

Wednesday’s class was a lecture but was preceded by another email from the University that the entire semester was remote, with exceptions. Students that just moved in…had to move out. I filed to be an exception as some students really want lab/research experience. Several students are part of our Animal Behavior major and many of their internships were cancelled this summer. This might be the only hands on experience they get. Wednesday’s lecture was fine, but from my perspective it is different. I was in the classroom to give me (and them) the perspective of being in class. But I lectured to an empty room and a screen. With an owl staring at me. It’s hard to gauge how fast I’m going, if student’s understand the material, and open the class for discussion. I don’t envy the students who have to do this for all their classes, likely on different platforms (Zoom, Webex, Blackboard, oh my). It’s tough.

Week 1 went okay, despite the changes. Students were submitting videos. They were commenting on VoiceThreads on material we normally discuss in lab. The goal of the week was to understand how to get a high-speed video and what makes a good one for analysis.

Week 2 started out a bit rougher. We got approval as an exception to remote learning for at most 6 students to come in. I set up a sign up sheet on blackboard and 3 decided to come in. The building was suppose to be unlocked….it was not. I set Zoom up to be 1am not 1pm, so the link was hard to find. As I lecture I have to deliver the material, man the waiting room, and chat room. I might see if one of the ULAs can assist with this. At least I had some students in class, but I had a mask on, making it a bit more difficult to lecture. It was short lecture to introduce the week’s topic, learning how to track animals. So, afterwards I kept Zoom open and the three students in had a 1:1 ratio of student to teacher/ULA. I had some crickets, crayfish and fiddler crabs in for them to practice filming with and tutorials how to use the equipment so I didn’t have to be close. It all worked out well. But it was exhausting. There is another assignment this week to submit a video of an animal moving, some will use the videos from class some will upload their own.

Wednesday’s class was a bit smoother. I had the right zoom time to start. I lectured from my office on my computer, taking the time to have powerpoint, Zoom participants and chat open, so I could see them all at once. We discussed factors that might affect performance. The highlight of Wed. was our first Scientist Spotlight. Dr. Kristin Winchell from Washington University in St. Louis joined us virtually to tell us about her journey as a scientist and her research. The class read her recent paper on urban evolution (Winchell et al. 2018), submitted questions before hand, and asked them after her talk. She gave a great talk on her journey as a scientist, her research, provided videos for the class to see how it can be tough to motivate animals, and had some great messages throughout. I’ve never done anything like this, but thought it was great and hope to do it more, even not when we are all remote. We have a few more Scientist Spotlight’s coming up throughout the semester.

So, a rough, changing start to the semester, but we’re off and running……