Q&A Spotlight: Ebonie Ravenell

Name: Ebonie Ravenell
Major: Animal Behavior and Biology major with a minor in Psychology
Grad Year: December 2015
Program Abroad: University of Tasmania in Hobart Tasmania via the TU Exchange program

Great Barrier Reef in Cairns, Queensland

Q: Food, your favorite subject & ours. Best dish? Worst dish? New recipe you picked up?
My favorite food from Australia were biscuits, what Americans called cookies. A brand called Tim Tams! I brought home 20 packs…I’m sort of like an addict. I have tried every flavor, some are better than others. My least favorite thing about Australia was Vegemite. It looks gross and tasted even worse.

Q: Did a local point you to a market, pub, or park you didn’t know about? Pass it on.
Some spots to definitely hit while in Hobart is Salamanca Market, Telegraph and Daci Daci. They have some of the best foods and drinks in the city!

Q: Weekends, full of travel. Where did you go? How did you choose? Was it difficult to plan?
I only had classes three days a week so a four day weekend was amazing. I went on a lot of hiking trips! It was awesome, seeing all the beautiful views never got old. I went to the mainland and visited Cairns, Melbourne and Sydney. I knew for a fact that I wanted to go to Cairns because that’s where the Great Barrier Reefs are located. It was something I have wanted to do since I was seven years old. It was definitely a dream. It wasn’t hard to book, it was more of trying to find the cheapest alternatives of getting there. You never want to spend  too much money if it’s not necessary. It’s really important to have a good budget for those sporadic trips with your friends.

Painted Cliffs meets the coast line at Maria Island