Argentina: “Querida Comida” (Dear Food)

Oh how I sincerely love you. One of the hardest things that a person has to get used to while living abroad is the food. I am extremely glad that Argentina has such a deep and diverse history/culture because there is something for everyone in Argentina.

First up: Meat and Parillas: As most people know, Argentina is known for their beef and I MUST agree. The first night we were in Buenos Aires we went to Siga la vaca and had the most amazingly juicy steak I have ever tasted in my life. The meat literally melts in your mouth!! A parilla is a place that specializes in grilling meat. If you are ever in Argentina you must go to a parilla, you will not regret it. Not only is the beef good, but the chicken is to die for as well. Fair warning: Argentines LOVE salt and most of the beef is heavily seasoned with salt, but it’s worth the high blood pressure ;)

Next food of choice: Empanadas: Empanadas are pockets of dough filled with meat, chicken, tomato and basil, whatever you want in an empanada I can guarantee they can put it in one. I liked empanadas when I first got to Buenos Aires, but soon I was all empandaded OUT. I literally never wanted to eat another empanada, but when we reached the gaucho farm and the lady of the house handed us fresh, hot, fried empanadas from her little basket, I was SOLD. I bit into that deliciousness and I feel in love with my empanada. SOOO GOOD.

My absolute favorite food: ICE CREAM: I am a self-proclaimed ice cream connoisseur. I love ice cream, in the summer, winter, spring, fall, you name it and I bet you I have ice cream somewhere in my freezer. Before coming to Argentina I had no idea how good ice cream could be (and that is saying something). I have had homemade ice cream, Coldstone’s, Haggen Daz, Ben & Jerry’s; yeah I’ve had my fair share of ice cream, but I never knew that Argentina was known for its ice cream until I arrived. Once I had tasted ice cream in Argentina, it was very hard to imagine ever eating ice cream in America again (it is THAT good). The ice cream is the most rich and creamy thing I have ever eaten before. Eating the strawberry ice cream was like eating sugared down strawberries straight out of the bowl, mmmm mmmm good. I cannot forget the country’s favorite flavor, dulce de leche. It is similar to caramel but much better and you can find it in any heledaria. If you ever visit Argentina PLEASE do yourself a favor and go to a Heledaria or try to stop at Freddos or Volta for some ice cream in Recoleta.

One word: Alfajores: Alfajores are like THE cookie of Argentina. Typically they are made with a cookie layered with dulce de leche and covered in chocolate. These little bites of delight are like Heaven on a bad day. I personally like the all chocolate alfajores the best, but any alfajore is good as well :)

Jasmine B.