PhD, University of California, Berkeley, 2003
BA, Yale University, 1994
16th and 17th century English literature, Shakespeare, Milton
Note: For English majors planning how to fulfill their Shakespeare requirement, I typically teach two sections of ENGL 427 (Shakespearean Comedy) in the fall and two sections of ENGL 428 (Shakespearean Tragedy) in the spring. The department also tries to offer one section of 428 in the fall and one section of 427 in the spring. At times, we may substitute one or two sections of ENGL 426, which fulfills the same requirements.
General Writing Handouts:
- Joel’s Paper Advice (PDF, updated 5/24/2010)
- Paper Advice PowerPoint (updated 4/14/2020)
- Evaluating Claims Workshop (updated 3/23/2020)
- Peer Editing Form (updated 6/02/2020)
- Plagiarism Agreement (updated 2019)
- Instructions for the Scene Performance and Write-up (for ENGL 322, 427, and 428, updated 8/2016).