About the Honors College

Want to know more about what you have to look forward to once you get to TU? Read these comments from current Honors students!

Honors Course (and Professor!) Shout-Outs

“I absolutely loved my Honors English course with Caroll Pippen. Everyday we came into class and discussed our life experiences (that related to the book we were assigned). Within my class we had students from all walks of life. That class taught me a very valuable lesson, everyone has something they’ve gone through or are going through, always treat people with kindness. We shared some deep, dark and emotional events of our life as a class. I will never forget that class and the people in it.” –Catherine Volcy

“One of my favorite courses that I’ve completed so far was Honors Writing Fiction (HONR 332). Up until that class, I never really had the opportunity to explore writing that was not purely for formal, academic, research-driven papers, and it was something that I was always interested in trying. Professor Warner was one of the most fun professors I’ve had, and he always encouraged us to do our best and explore what was in our heads. I ended up submitting the piece that I had written for this class to the Towson literary magazine, Grub Street, and was even featured in its 69th edition.” –Taryn Painter

“I feel as though having smaller classes allows me to gain a sort of intimacy with my classmates and professors. It also allows me to be heard in class, so I do not feel like just a number.” –Kulthum Languida Traore

“My favorite course so far is Honors Drawing for Non-Art majors. As a Biology major, I am not usually super artsy or take classes in that realm of study. However, I was able to really open myself up to being more creative, while still having the expectations that the professor expected of us because we were honors students. I also was able to grow my artistic abilities, which I didn’t think was possible.” –Haley Flanders

“My favorite and most challenging course has probably been my TSEM class with Professor Nicole Fabricant. She is passionate and inspiring and a positive light even on bad days. She teaches my class about the anthropology that surrounds water and inspires me to make change and create justice for those who suffer under our current policies, like Flint residents.” –Breanna Patino

“This semester I took a Honors 370 on Psychology, Law, and Social Justice and it has, by and large, been my favorite academic experience at TU. I already knew I had an interest in the subject area but the instruction by Dr. Jeff Kukucka has made me consider forensic psychology in my post-graduation studies. The class is interesting and informative and requires you to think critically on things that you had previously probably never given thought to. Many of us don’t want to cast doubt on the criminal justice system but many of us also don’t know just what happens to innocent people who are accused of crimes they didn’t commit. I cannot speak highly enough of Dr. K or the Honors 370 seminar.” –Kristen Gittings

“Honors courses and seminars facilitate great intellectual discussions, and the opportunity to participate with those outside of one’s major brings forth even more intellectually stimulating ideas….Strong faculty-to-student relationships played a big role in my college decision, and I actually decided on Towson knowing that the Honors College would provide me with many opportunities to develop relationships with professors through smaller class sizes.” –Melissa Baltimore

“My favorite course so far has been Honors English. I did not like English classes back in high school because we never talked about current issues or problems except for a couple of times a school year. However, now in Honors English, that is what we focus on. We not only talk about current problems but offer solutions for each topic… By not talking about these topics, it’s almost like acting as if it never happened and does not prepare college students for the future.” –Onyedika Onyemezium

“With the small class sizes I am able to build a stronger bond with my professors. Along with the small class sizes, all Honors professors I have had have been very excited to teach an Honors class!” –Bailey Hendricks

“My favorite Honors class so far was Honors TSEM with Professor Seigel.  I loved learning about the history of different artists and how to better analyze paintings.  The class also had a focus on the environment.  This allowed us to spend time discussing how art relates to the environment and we had some great discussions about environmental issues.” –Natalie Miller

“My favorite course has been the Honors 345 Seminar on the Ethics of Reconciliation. Dr. Fehskens has been a phenomenal professor and has taught me and my classmates so much about what ethics are and the bounds of forgiveness. Her class has required me to think more deeply about concepts I had not before. Her classwork and papers challenge me to think with a new mindset and be conscious in ways that I wasn’t before.” –Lauren Cunningham

“Professors at TU know that Honors students are curious, engaged, and hardworking. This gives you a great reputation going into a new class and encourages me to work harder.” –Kathleen Howeiler

“My favorite course so far was Honors Chemistry 115. I enjoyed this class because although the material was difficult and rigorous, my professor was willing to go the extra mile to help us succeed. Being in a smaller class also gave us the opportunity to have our questions answered as well as receive one-on-one instruction from the professor immediately as new material was given. Having the ability to receive immediate feedback to my questions about what I was learning allowed me to better understand the material and succeed. My professor for Chem 115 was also very understanding and encouraged us to keep trying even when learning grew more difficult. She also made sure that our class was effectively learning the material, while providing a fun, safe learning environment where we felt free to make mistakes and learn from them.” –Samantha Morris

Honors Community

“Towson is a big school and having your own community within the school that’s focused on multi-disciplinary excellence has helped me as both a student and a person. ” –Melissa Baltimore

“My favorite thing about being in the Honors College is the ability to meet those of different majors in an Honors class. In my non- Honors classes such as my pre-requisites or cores, I usually have classmates who are the same major as me or in the similar majors found in the College of Health Professions. This is great in terms of making study groups and feeling comfortable in a new class. However, this can make college classes feel like I am still in high school where every day I talk to the same individuals. In my Honors College classes, I meet individuals of varying colleges such as the College of Education, College of Fine Arts and Communication, etc. Since these classes have students from different Colleges and majors, the conversations can be very interesting when we can talk about different topics but can still have a good time.” –Onyedika Onyemezium

“For me, I think the best part of being in the Honors College is the people. Being surrounded with other motivated and passionate students really encourages you to work hard and become the best possible version of yourself that you can be. The Honors College is a place where students of all walks of life can engage with one another, share ideas, and collaborate with professors and faculty members that truly care about your development as a person and life-long learner.” –Taryn Painter

“I think, looking at the big picture, my favorite thing about the honors college is the community. Douglass house is where I made some of my best friends and had my fondest memories. The honors faculty and advisors are so thoughtful and considerate, they know you and ask questions about your life. It’s nice to know that there are people watching out for you in a school as big as Towson and I can’t count the times that I have been recommended or considered for something because of my connections within the Honors community.” –Kristen Gittings

“I really enjoy having a community of likeminded individuals who share my commitment to academics. Especially being in Douglass where everyone is very respectful of your studies. Also, Douglass always hosts informational events that give you insight into opportunities for yourself or friends and stress relief events (which we can all use)!” –Nicole Reifer

“In every honors course I have taken, there was a sense of togetherness so not matter how difficult the class got I felt like I had someone to turn to.” –Jillian McIntyre

“We are a tight knit community and when you need support or advice, it’s easy to find an Honors student who you know and trust to help you out.” –Lauren Cunningham

“I love the passion for education that fellow honors college students hold near them. We all value the information brought forth to us in our classes and we bring that together within Honors Seminar classes and clubs which we are apart of. I remember a fellow Honors College Orientation Mentor coming to my room in Douglass House to tell me when she got into a PhD program which she worked hard applying to. It was so exciting to celebrate her achievements with her. Although all college students would feel the same; I have had many more of these experiences shared with members of the honors college which is greatly valuable to me.” –Jesselyn Manning

“Everyone is so nice to each other and willing to collaborate, even if they barely knew each other. There’s a sense of bond between us because we’re in the Honors College.” –Phuong Dinh Nguyen

Opportunities and Honors Perks

“Working on research as one of my honors credits has really allowed me to gain a passion for research and learn more about what I can do with my Nursing degree when I graduate.” –Michelle Ojo

“My favorite experience was working on an independent study in Political Science last year. Because this was out of my major, I enjoyed expanding my knowledge and learning how to write effectively for a different audience. I also enjoyed representing the Honors College at half a dozen research conferences and even traveling to VCU with some of my Honors friends.” –Kathleen Hohweiler

“The close knit classes and being able to connect with others in the class. My Honors English class last semester was so inspiring, getting to know secret details that my class shared with me.” –Keasia Backmon

“My favorite thing about being in the Honors College would be the extra opportunities that are offered. The Honor’s weekly email has so many different events that I do not believe I would not find out about without the Honors College. By being a member of the Honors College, I have definitely been more engaged at Towson University. I have also made a lot of friends through the Honors College, which has helped me academically and socially.” –Charlotte Brown

“The class environment is much more enthusiastic in honors sections, and it makes me feel much more motivated.” –Celeste Vandegriff

“By engaging in interdisciplinary work, my application always stands out amongst the crowd.” –Kathleen Hohweiler

“My favorite thing about being in the Honors College would have to be the access to resources and being apart of the Honors community. In Honors, there are so many people you have access to if you have a question or need to talk, like student directors, staff, and our honors advisers.” –Haley Flanders

“You get to make close relationships with people who will encourage you and want to see you succeed. The experiences the Honors College provides can impact your future goals and aspirations.” –Maria Puglese

“In every honors class I’ve taken, my professors have gotten to know me personally, they know my name, and they give me help and support that I wouldn’t receive in a larger classroom. I also enjoy being able to interact with my honors peers on a more personal level in my honors classes, as this allows us to have deep, engaging discussions each class that wouldn’t happen in a larger class setting.” –Samantha Morris

Want to talk with any of these students? Many of the students quoted throughout the website are also listed on the Student Contacts page. Check them out if you want more details about anything they discussed here! 

News about the TU Honors College and our students