New Faculty: Meet Kenneth Coriale, Department of Economics

This fall, CBE welcomes 8 new faculty members – here’s what you need to know.

Kenneth Coriale
Lecturer
Department of Economics

Education:

Ph.D., Economics
University of Maryland College Park

Post-Bac, Mathematics
North Carolina State University

B.A., Economics;
Government and Politics; History
University of Maryland College Park

What are your research interests?

Broadly, my research interests are in applied microeconomics, both in political economy and public economics. To be a little more specific, I am interested in the influence of institutional and program design choices on individual behavior, with an emphasis on data-based approaches to government decision-making. My recent work has examined the behavior of judges, state legislators, and college students.

What are you looking forward to in your new role at Towson University?

I’m most looking forward to meeting the students here at Towson University. I’m excited to help them achieve their educational and career goals. I also look forward to working with students on economic research here at the University.

What is something few people know about you that might be surprising to some?

I’m a huge soccer fan. My favorite team is Tottenham Hotspur. I even visited their new stadium in London while it was under construction.

How do you spend your free time?

I like to spend my free time with my wife and one-year-old son. I particularly enjoy going on trips with them around the area. This year we’ve been to the beach, the zoo, the aquarium, Gettysburg, and Mount Vernon.

What is your favorite TV show?

This is a tough question, but I think I’d pick Burn Notice. It’s a show in the spy genre that focuses much less on action and more on preparation and working intelligently. The runner up would be Game of Thrones.

If you could give your students one piece of advice from your life experiences, what would it be?

Focus on the career path you want, but also be open to other paths you haven’t considered. Once you graduate from Towson University’s College of Business and Economics, you’ll be well qualified for many positions. Focus on jobs that will help your chosen career path and that you will find enjoyable, but don’t become too set on a particular next step. There may be jobs out there of types you haven’t considered yet that are enjoyable and move you along in your career.