Students make most of summer with internships, travel and volunteer work

We asked students in the College of Business and Economics, “What did you do over summer break?”

Their answers blew us away.

From interning at world-famous companies to traveling the world to teaching kids in Guinea about science and technology, our students have been very busy.

Here are just a few summer break stories from our adventurous and ambitious students.

Allison Kahl

Business Administration, Human Resource Management & Management
Senior

ext“This summer, I had the opportunity to Intern with Avon Protection Systems. It was not only an honor, but an incredible experience to work alongside some of the most kind and welcoming co-workers! I enjoyed working on my projects, in hopes my research will benefit onboarding initiatives at Avon in the future. I will miss the many laughs, and friendly faces – but I am happy to leave with such a positive and challenging experience within my first Human Resource Internship.”

Mariah Lucernoni

Business Administration, Human Resource Management
Junior

“I had the opportunity to work as an intern at a law firm in downtown Hagerstown, Md.  Through ten weeks I was able to grasp an understanding of various areas of law, including criminal, family, business and more.  One of the major cases was a child abuse case where I was able to work hand in hand with an attorney creating an outline and figuring out what we could use to benefit our client, and what we should advoid.  As the three day trial came to a start I was able to attend court and take detailed notes on everything said, allowing the attorney to look back and plan for the following day.  But the main thing this summer has been gaining confidence in achieving my dreams of becoming an attorney”

Lindsay Flowers

Accounting
Senior

“I shared an amazing summer interning at Martin’s Famous Pastry Shoppe (yep, the home of Martin’s Potato Rolls!) where I was able to bond with the staff and gain great experience as an accountant in a family-based company that has grown to be huge! I was able to bring to use many of the skills I’ve gained at TU to stand out as an accounting intern. So much so that they offered me a full time job after graduation!!!”

Oumou Diallo

Economics
Senior

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 5.19.21 PM“This summer, I traveled to Guinea with an organization called Hope of Guinea to work at our first Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM) Camp.  The Hope of Guinea STEAM Camp 2016 took place from July 11th to July 29th and is a joint initiative between Hope of Guinea, MindLeaps, and Returned Peace Corps Volunteers from Guinea. The concept of the camp is to provide resources and innovative ways of learning to kids in Guinea whether in school or on the street.  For three weeks, from Monday through Thursday, I worked with selected kids of junior high age, they performed experiments, participated in engaging field trips, and developed techniques in traditional and non traditional dance forms. Some of the Planned experimental activities included: chicken dissection, microscope skill lessons, a bridge building competition, DNA extraction, a game modeling disease spread, and the creation of electromagnets. We visited various places such as the museum and the national tv station. In addition to working with the students, I was also in charge of logistics and event planning.”

Eloy Flores Rodriguez

Economics
Freshman

IMG_6118“This summer was the most enriched period of my life from a cultural point of view, making it a possible asset for not only my future career but also my friendships and relations. This past summer I went to Tres Cantos Spain for two eventful weeks, which I stayed with an old colleague of mine and met all of his friends in the process. We all went to Madrid countless times, Segovia, and many other culture-rich places, and not only did I have the opportunity to meet many people but also to actually live a whole different culture. After those two weeks I flew to Rhodes, Greece to visit another friend of mine because he wanted to spend my birthday with me, which happened to be in that week. Rhodes has to be the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen with my own two eyes, the views ranged from deserts to beautiful beaches, and so on. This picture is from when I was in Rhodes.”

Andrew Shaffer

Business Administration, Financial Planning
Senior

“This summer I spent the majority of my time working for a local financial advising firm, Hereitage Financial Consultants, LLC.  It was a rewarding summer because I got to spend time doing hands-on activities and learning what it takes to become a financial planner. I was able to make client reviews, trade sheets, and learn how to process the necessary paperwork for each individual investor. Overall, the experience was very satisfying and I look forward to working at Heritage for the remainder of my time as a student at Towson.”

Corinne Penny

Business Administration, International Business
Junior

“This summer I spent the majority of my time at my internship at the Architect of the Capitol. This was my second year interning for them and both years I enjoyed myself immensely. My office was located in the Library of Congress but because I was on Capitol Hill I had free range to explore and learn about all the buildings including the Capitol itself and other Senate and House of Representative buildings. Even though these are very professional buildings I was able to have a lot of fun and good laughs with my fellow interns, a few of which also intend Towson.  If I could take one thing away from this summer it would be that I truly felt closer to the law making and governing process and brought such a big system down to a level that I could be apart of. ( I also went to the beach)”

Alina Malkowski

Business Administration, Investments
Senior

My summer this year has been extraordinary.  A majority of my time was spent at my internship with Northwestern Mutual as a Financial Representative.  I also took one summer course at Towson which was BUSX 301.  In my free time I visited Lake Erie and went to Ocean City with some friends.

Savannah Wilhelm

Double Major, Economics,
Senior

29848“I had the opportunity to intern at Morgan Stanley this summer in Baltimore. I worked as a summer operations analyst in Security Settlements and had an amazing time learning about the industry, taking responsibility for daily tasks with my team, and completing a group project that aimed to solve a real-life business issue the firm was currently facing. The ten week program was intense, but I learned so much and am grateful to have spent the summer surrounded by motivated and determined individuals from various colleges.”

Alexandria Urell

Senior

My internship with PSA Financial took a great turn as I transitioned from being an analyst, to being able to support our Client Managers, who work with our clients. Having a client-facing role is so awesome and I appreciate my company for trusting me to work in this department. The summer was packed with Happy Hours and trainings, including a training in PA that ended with a concert. I am also taking my Life & Health License exam so that I can work freely in the world of insurance and be of even more help to my company, whom I hope to work for full-time when I graduate.”

Nick Anthony

Economics
Senior

“I worked for the majority of the summer with one full time job and one part time job. It isn’t always easy, but it’s fun, a good source of money, and a great way to stay in shape.”